The last few weeks I've decided to add two things to my daily routine: running and blogging. Maybe because I decided to add both at the same time I'm struck by their similarities, but here's a list of the obvious and maybe not so obvious similarities. I've exchanged "both" or "running and blogging" with "It" for simplicity. 1. It's solitary.
2. It provides a great venue for uninterrupted thought.
3. It's exercise (mental // physical).
4. It kind of sucks.
5. It's a hard habit to get start and easy to quit.
6. It's seemingly pointless.
7. It's time consuming.
8. It's surprisingly rewarding.
9. It requires dedication.
10. You're going to suck at it when you first start.
11. No one cares that you're doing it.
12. You should do it for yourself. (see #11)
13. It's the best way to start your day.
14. It's better when you're caffeinated.
15. It's best to be a little hungry before you start.
16. Don't compare yourself to anyone else who does it, just focus on improving.
17. The payoff is longterm, not short term.
18. It makes you uncomfortable.
19. Do it every day, no matter how much you don't want to.
20. Bananas help.
21. It makes you happier.
22. It makes you respect people who do it for a living.
23. It gives you more energy.
24. It's a great way to learn about yourself.
25. You tend to surprise yourself.
26. In your mind's eye sweatpants seem like the ideal apparel for doing it, but you couldn't be more wrong. You burn your sweatpants because you realize you're an employed adult.